How do I claim Feed in Tariffs?

In order to claim Feed in Tariffs (FiT’s) you need to have a renewable energy installation which qualifies for the scheme.

Types of installations which qualify for FiT’s are those which generate electricity (as opposed to heat) such as:

  • Solar photovoltaic (PV)
  • Wind turbines
  • Hydro

For a definitive list of technologies which qualify for FiT’s you should check the MCS website (Micro-generation Certification Scheme).  The installation will have to be using products which have been tested and certified by the MCS and installed by an MCS accredited installer (EnergyMyWay only uses MCS certified products and certified installers under MCS).

Once your renewable installation is in place your installer will then provide you with an MCS certificate which you will then need to send to your electricity supplier, it is your electricity supplier who then pays you the Feed in Tariff.  To understand how FiT’s are calculated see our earlier blog How Feed in Tariffs are calculated.

James Eades

By: James Eades

Operations Director, James Eades is EnergyMyWay's in-house expert on renewable energy policy, microgeneration technologies and best practice in the renewable energy industry.